Saturday, July 15, 2006

Day 9, Abilene to Lubbock, TX

July 11, 2006



Not very far to go today so I took my time getting packed up and running. One of the maids admired my "rig" as I was packing up, reminding me that it would probably be more fun on this ride with a "biker babe" on the back, but not this time.

When I stopped for gas outside Abilene, a guy about 10 years older than me was gassing up his Mustang in the next lane. He came over to admire my "rig" as well, and told me that he'd just sold his Harley Heritage, and it was the smartest thing he'd ever done. He had a friend with a Wing and said you had to walk over and touch it to be sure it's running, and probably even have to twist the throttle a bit. He said after 3 hours on his Harley the vibration made him feel like his nether parts (not his words) had fallen off. Most Harley riders are pretty snobbish about their bikes, so it's nice to encounter one who shows a little respect in the presence of a Honda.

The road was hot, so I stopped in a small town named Post to make myself a coffee float. There was a major water main break so the whole town was without water and would be for another day as well. Bottled water and soda was being dispensed in the McDonald's, and most other restaurants had simply closed up for the duration. The owner showed some surprise at my putting my ice cream cone into my coffee so I sat down to chat with him while I cooled off. I told him I'd discovered the coffee float at a McDonald's in Thailand last year. Turns out he was a pilot in Viet Nam and Thailand during the war and had been many of the places I had been. When he got out he came home and bought a couple McDonald's franchises here and in Lubbock.

I finally pulled myself away and rode the final few miles into Lubbock to spend some time with my oldest friend, Tex. We were together in Thailand, Viet Nam, Okinawa and my first years in Hawaii. We shared some great years and always enjoy getting together, though it doesn't happen often enough. Early in the afternoon I pulled the "rig" into his garage next to his Harley and his son's big Honda and shut down for a couple days' rest.

Only 166 miles today, 2829 since this trip started.

No comments: