Saturday, July 15, 2006

Day 16 - The Final Leg

September 4, 2006

(Click on pictures to see them full size)


I woke up with the sun this morning, and the valley was still covered with fog. Here on the mountaintop it was bright and warm, however, and promised a great day of riding to finish my trip. I broke camp and was ready to roll by 8:30, chatted a bit with other campers, and headed down the mountain and back into the grey overcast. It was 80 degrees at the top.


The morning fog from my tentsite.


On the road down the mountain.


Just before descending into the fog.

I rode the 50 or so miles into Monterey and went to Cannery Row for breakfast. When I went to school here many years ago, Cannery Row was still operational and much as John Steinbeck wrote about it. Now it is just a bunch of tourist shops and home of the great Monterey Aquarium. I walked around a bit and took a couple pictures, but it was a cold 58 degrees.



Monterey Bay - Every bit as cold as it looks.

I tried to visit my old school, but it has been closed to the public since 9/11. I walked by the old bar downtown where I celebrated my 21st birthday and was happy to see it was still there.


The bar formerly known as My Attic.

Thinking about all the traffic that would be on the Pacific Coast Highway today, and the lack of sunlight all along the coast, I decided I'd had enough touring and to just go home by the fastest and shortest route. I came out from under the overcast around Salinas and welcomed the sunshine, at least until it started to get really hot. By the time I got to Lost Hills the temperature was 102 degrees, still cooler than my trek across the Mojave desert on Day 13, but quite hot.

From a low of 58 to a high of 102. The Hawaii Weather Wimps I often ride with don't see this kind of temperture spread in an entire year, but this was less than 5 hours. I started out with just a long-sleeve t-shirt, then added my Kevlar jacket, then inserted its liner and put on the winter gloves. Leaving the bay area, out came the liner and on with the summer gloves. Moving further south, off came the Kevlar jacket. Soon I got out my latest acquisition from the ice chest, a cooling wet-vest I learned about from a local Iron-Butt Association rider. It worked great and I was sorry I didn't have it for the trek across the Mojave.

When I got home, it was still 98 degrees, and I'd ridden 283 miles this day. From the start of the trip in my daughter's driveway to my garage was a total of 4766 miles.

I can't wait to start the next big trip.



Home at last--for now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the walk down memory lane for you. The bar looks like a Walgreen's now! LOL Thanks for putting up all the extra photos, Bob. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Great story. With that new seat you should take the Magna and get back to real riding!

Very good pictures.

Anonymous said...

Loved your story Bob. You write so well that I felt as if I were on the trip with you. Infact, I have been on many of the same routes on my own Goldwing. Hope to see you in Montana at Wing Ding.