Saturday, July 15, 2006

Day 10, Lubbock, TX

July 12, 2006

Got up early this morning to get the Wing-a-bago over to the Honda shop to get an oil change. I also decided to buy a new helmet to get a little more air on my face behind the big windshield. Tex got off work early and met me at the Honda shop so we went to a Mexican restaurant for brunch. In the afternoon we went to the airport to pick up a company van to take it in for repair. I wish I'd taken my camera.

At the radiator shop we met Renea, the receptionist. She had a fairly large office behind a wall with just a window for transacting business. Everything, without exception, in her office was purple. The walls, the carpet, the phone. She had a government-style metal desk painted purple and topped with purple laminate. Stapler, pencils, chair and flower pot with purple flowers: all were purple.

I once saw a piece on TV about a lady who loved purple and everything in her home was purple. I think it was Charles Kuralt who had discovered her. Renea was not that lady, meaning there are at least two such purple fanatics in the country. I asked Renea what her favorite color is, and she said it was green. "You can tell by the color of the leaves on the plant," she said with a straight face. Humor is alive and well in West Texas.

The few miles ridden for the oil change today don't really count. It was a great day "off" with a great and long-time friend.

No comments: